Monday, March 24, 2014

Post Impressionism

The Seine at Bercy 
Paul Cezanne
1878



Purpose: To gain a basic understanding about the Post-Impressionism Art Movement and to identify Artists who work(ed) in this style.


Post impression directly followed impressionism and was breaking free of the bonds of natural impressionism in the late 1880s. In this age artists strived to get their own styles of painting.  Post impressionism includes a wide range of artistic styles that all share the motivation of responding to the impressionist movement. The variations in style in the Post-Impressionism movement  range from neo impressionism to symbolism. They are all concentrated on the vision of the artist. The movement created an era when painting became a window into the artist's mind and artistic thinking. Four artists that made art in this period were Vincent Van Gogh, Paul Cézanne, Georges Seurat, and Paul Signac.


"The Art Story.org - Your Guide to Modern Art." Post-Impressionism Movement, Artists and Major Works. N.p., n.d. Web. 07 Mar. 2014.

What I Learned

            During this Post Impressionism unit I learned a few things. Firstly, I learned how different some artists' works can be from each other while still being in the same category. I also learned some history of this period. I love this style and enjoy working in it. In my copy drawing I used Cray-pas. This medium is very different from other medium that I have worked with. It is less detailed and a lot like paint.  

No comments:

Post a Comment